Having a cohesive Instagram feed is every blogger’s or influencer’s goal nowadays. What is a feed? A feed is a grid-like arrangement and view of your photos side by side when a person first clicks on your name and gets on your page. Your overall feed is the first impression they have about you before they click individual photos. A cohesive feed is one that is well-integrated, well arranged, the theme and photos blend in together perfectly and are very pleasing and appealing to the eyes. This is where the job of curating comes in. So how do you ensure that your feed is cohesive and perfectly themed?
Top blogger Marianna Hewitt shared some secrets to having a cohesive feed on her Instagram page @blogwithme the other day and we’re here for all the tips and tricks to the trade we can get.
The Secrets to Having a Cohesive Instagram Feed
- Always take your photos with the same or similar background so they can all go together. That means you have to pick a background theme/colour and stick to it.
- Always take your photos the same way. It could be iPhone and natural light, camera and natural light, with flash etc. The trick here is to stick to one method so all the pictures can look and feel the same.
- If you’re a freelance makeup artist or hair stylist, take your clients to a plain wall and take their photos there.
- Edit your photos in the same way so that the edit in the feed matches all the other photos. You don’t have to use the same filters but use similar filters so the colours are cohesive no matter what colour is in the photo.
- Use apps like Planoly and Unum to plan your feed and see if your photos match before posting. Don’t just post anything anywhere.
Here are some examples of cohesive feeds from bloggers and influencers on Instagram who take different shots and styles of photos and videos but still manage to have a cohesive look.
What are your struggles when it comes to curating a cohesive Instagram feed? Let us know in a comment below and let us help you. Thanks for reading, happy blogging.
Written by: Daniella Bature